Mundubile Defeated: Hichilema Officially Wins Zambia Election

The Electoral Commission of Zambia (ECZ) on Tuesday, August 18, officially declared Hichilema the winner of the presidential election, giving him a second term in office.

The announcement brings an end to a tense vote-counting process that was marked by a temporary suspension of counting, competing claims of victory and allegations of interference.

Hichilema secured about 60% of the vote, according to the Electoral Commission, while Mundubile, his closest challenger and candidate for the National Restoration Party for Unity and Progress (NRPUP), received about 38%.

ECZ Chairperson Mwangala Zaloumis said results from five of the 226 constituencies were still incomplete when the presidential result was declared, but the outstanding figures could not change the overall outcome.

continue reading after ADVERTISEMENT

The result is a sharp contrast to what happened at the beginning of the counting process.

On August 14, Mundubile declared himself the winner before the Electoral Commission had completed the tally. His announcement came after the ECZ temporarily suspended the counting of votes following incidents involving election officials and the reported theft of ballot papers.

The commission later resumed the counting process and warned candidates against announcing themselves as winners before the official declaration.

The election was also accompanied by allegations involving Tanzania after Mundubile claimed that Tanzanian citizens had been brought into Zambia to interfere with the electoral process.

continue reading after ADVERTISEMENT

Mundubile accused those allegedly involved of attempting to introduce what he called “Tanzanian tactics” into the election and called on Tanzanians allegedly participating in election-related activities to leave the country.

Tanzania rejected the allegations, saying it had not sent anyone to interfere in Zambia’s election. Tanzanian officials said some of the country’s citizens in Zambia could have been participating as part of the SADC Election Observer Mission, which operates with the host country’s invitation.

See also  Ebola May Become Tshisekedi’s Biggest Test for His 3rd-Term Ambitions

The controversy continued after Mundubile alleged that election result documents had been altered, particularly in Southern Province, to favour Hichilema.

The allegations have not been independently verified, while the ECZ has proceeded to declare Hichilema the winner.

continue reading after ADVERTISEMENT

Political tensions also rose after Zambian authorities announced the arrest of 11 people, including six opposition figures, in an operation the government linked to alleged terrorist activities and a rebel group. Authorities said those arrested were found with heavy military weapons and ammunition.

NRPUP rejected the allegations and said the police operation took place at Mundubile’s residence.

Despite the disputes surrounding the election, Hichilema has now been officially declared the winner and will serve a second term after first taking power in 2021.

Speaking after the declaration, Hichilema appealed to citizens who supported the opposition, saying his government would also serve them.

continue reading after ADVERTISEMENT

We are deeply humbled by the trust you have placed in our hands. To those citizens who preferred the ideas presented by our opponents, we hear you, and we will continue to serve you and work for you,” Hichilema said.

His supporters later gathered in Lusaka wearing the ruling UPND’s red colours, singing, dancing and setting off fireworks to celebrate the victory.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
💬
ADVERTISEMENT ADVERTISEMENT
Add Swahili Today on Google
×